Communication Regarding Gas Leaks & Your Safety

The Courtyards
15505 Court Village Lane
Taylor, Michigan, 48180


  • Phone: 734-941-5679
  • Email:
    Court@mckinley.com
  • Office Hours:
    Mon 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Tue 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Wed 10:00am - 5:00pm
    Thu 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Sat 10:00am - 4:00pm
    Sun By Appointment
andrea.mack@mckinley.com's picture
Announcement for Multiple Communities

                                   IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION REGARDING GAS LEAKS AND YOUR SAFETY

At The Courtyards & Springs, natural gas is used as a source of fuel.  One of the greatest dangers to you and your family is natural gas leaks, which can be deadly.

Your natural gas supplier, DTE Energy, adds a harmless chemical to natural gas to give it a distinct smell.  This smell is often described as “rotten-egg-like” or smelling like Sulphur.734  This chemical is added so that it is easier to detect a potentially deadly gas leak.

IF YOU SMELL THIS ROTTEN EGG LIKE SMELL, it may be a good indication of a natural gas leak.  Taking the right actions may save your life, and the lives of your family and neighbors. 

 

WHAT TO DO if you smell natural gas:

  1.  Evacuate the area immediately and remove everyone to an outside location where you can no longer smell natural gas.
  2. Call 911 immediately.
  3. Call DTE Energy at 800-947-5000 to report the leak. Emergency services are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.  (This number is for emergency gas leaks only and should be programmed into your phone TODAY.)
  4. Have a designated meeting place outside your apartment for your family in the event of an emergency.  Make sure your children know where to go in the event of an emergency.  This will assist emergency services in making sure that everyone is out of the building and accounted for.
  5. Call your apartment community’s emergency on-call maintenance service at 734-941-5679.

 

What NOT TO DO if you smell natural gas:

DO NOT attempt to locate the leak.

DO NOT smoke, light matches or use a lighter.  Avoid the use of all open flames.

DO NOT start up or shut down any machinery, vehicles, or equipment in the area where you smell the gas.

DO NOT use any electrical devices near the area where you smell the gas, including appliances, light switches, landlines and mobile phones.

DO NOT re-enter any affected area until authorized to do so by emergency authorities, such as the Fire Department.

Your health and safety is our biggest concern.  Please discuss this information with your family and your children TODAY.  We thank you for your residency here at The Courtyards & The Springs.

Regards,

Andrea Mack

Community Manager