Residents of Meadowbrook Village,
The coming days will bring below freezing temperatures, all the way down to -11 degrees on Tuesday night. Brrrr! We will need your help to avoid potentially major issues that can come with cold temperatures.
When the temperature takes a nose-dive to 10 degrees above zero, or colder, you can help prevent frozen water pipes and breakage of water lines by doing the following:
- Open all water faucets in your apartment to a steady stream of 1/8 inch or less, but not a drip. This helps to keep water moving through the lines and decreases the chance of pipes freezing.
- Ensure your apartment temperature is maintained at 60 degrees or above.
- If you have a patio, disconnect all hoses and turn off the water.
- Close any doors or windows in laundry and common areas if you are using them, in order to keep heat within.
- Call the office immediately if water stops or you see excessive moisture forming in or near your home (a sign that a pipe has frozen or burst).
- Contact Emergency Maintenance for any after-hours concerns, even if you are not sure if it is an emergency.
These steps will help us prevent 95% of all broken pipes this winter, which will ensure you never go without running water and, in some cases, that heat is not interrupted. We will try to advise you of all cold snaps in a proactive manner.